Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to jewelry: jewellery
Ornaments, such as bracelets, necklaces, or rings, especially when made of precious metals set with gems.
jew•el•ry(ˈdʒu əl ri)
objects of personal adornment, as necklaces, rings, bracelets, or brooches, esp. when made of precious metals, gemstones, or pearls and distinguished by very fine design and craft.Compare costume jewelry. Also, esp. Brit.,jew′el•ler•y.
See Also: CLOTHING
- A pear-shaped diamond, as big as your thumb —Paige Mitchell
- An assortment of costly [and of questionable taste] stones … very much like something Hansel and Gretel might well have plucked from the witch’s house to eat —Henry Van Dyke
- Bracelets seemed to grow up her arms like creeping plants —Nadine Gordimer
- Bracelets … warm and heavy, alive like flesh —Elizabeth Taylor
- A diamond as big as an Englishman’s monocle —Lael Wertenbaker
- A diamond as big as the Ritz —F. Scott Fitzgerald
365体育官网This served as the title for a famous Fitzgerald story.
- A diamond … as big as your fourth fingernail —Gerald Kersch
- Diamond pinkie rings sputtering like neon on his manicured fingers —Jonathan Valin
- Diamonds as big as grapes —Louis Adamic
- Diamonds as big as potatoes —Henry James
- Diamonds flashed … like drops of frozen light —Paige Mitchell
- Earrings tiny as pinheads —Richard Ford
- A medallion that could have anchored the Queen Mary —William Mcllvanney
- Necklace … flashed like summer lightning —Anais Nin
- Pearl … shaped like the full moon, and whiter than the morning star —Oscar Wilde
- (Wedding) ring … pink gold like the morning light —Anon
- Rubies as big as hen’s eggs, and sapphires that were like gloves with lights inside them —F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Rubies like cherries, sapphires like grapes —Isak Dinesen
- Rubies like headlights —Philip Levine
- She was encrusted with jewels like a Maharini —MacDonald Harris
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jewelry - an adornment (as a bracelet or ring or necklace) made of precious metals and set with gems (or imitation gems)|
adornment - a decoration of color or interest that is added to relieve plainness
bead - a small ball with a hole through the middle
bijou - a small and delicately worked piece
clip - an article of jewelry that can be clipped onto a hat or dress
cufflink - jewelry consisting of one of a pair of linked buttons used to fasten the cuffs of a shirt
earring - jewelry to ornament the ear; usually clipped to the earlobe or fastened through a hole in the lobe
necklace - jewelry consisting of a cord or chain (often bearing gems) worn about the neck as an ornament (especially by women)
pin - a piece of jewelry that is pinned onto the wearer's garment
ring, band - jewelry consisting of a circlet of precious metal (often set with jewels) worn on the finger; "she had rings on every finger"; "he noted that she wore a wedding band"
tie clip - a piece of jewelry that holds a man's tie in place
đồ nữ trang